Here's a quick post on work wardrobe essentials. I've found through my (short) years in the workforce that I really don't need to put together an expensive wardrobe, just a few essentials. 11 essentials, to be exact:
- 2 white shirts: These can be as stiff or loose as you want. Just make sure they're comfortable! I find stiffer shirts have a more corporate feel while looser shirts are more casual. Regardless, they're a very versatile and classic piece for any style of wardrobe!
- 2 or more trousers: My favorite style of trousers tend to be more form-fitting in a twill material as I find them most flattering on my body type. Find a cut and material that flatters you (bootcut, skinny, flare, etc). I always make sure to have a black pair and a navy pair as these two colors are most flattering and versatile.
- 2-3 pencil skirts: I think having a black, gray, or navy pencil skirt is great but it's also fun to have at least one colorful one. You know, to show off your personality!
- 2-3 shift dresses: Shift dresses are some of the most versatile wardrobe pieces ever! Find a color most flattering on you in a comfortable material (I'm starting to sound redundant, aren't I?)
- 1 pair of mid-heel pumps: I would like to take this time to say that a comfortable pair of heels is absolutely essential! I find that since black goes with everything it's a great place to start. Make sure the heel of your shoes aren't too high - I think about 2-3 inches should be fine.
- 2 pairs of colorful flats: I'm on my feet a lot at work so flats are necessary. Colorful or printed ones are fun and, much like the colorful pencil skirt, can showcase your personality. I'm on the shorter side so when it comes to shoes, I like pointed-toes as they make my legs look longer. Play around with shoe shapes to find one that you like!
- 2-3 hose: I'm gonna be a bit more conservative regarding this one - go for black or nude, no colored tights. Now, this is pretty dependent on what kind of office environment you work in but to be on the safe side, colored hose may be too much for many offices.
- Pearl studs: This is a classic. I'm convinced this needs no explanation :]
- 3-4 blazers: I think at least two blazers should be in neutral colors but it's fun to have a blazer or two in a fun color for casual Fridays!
- A 'goes-with-everything' structured bag: I think having a perfect structured back is a life essential, not to mention a work essential. Find one that's big enough to fit the things you use ever day, like a laptop or an iPad, but will look chic with everything.
- 3-4 cardigans: I think that cardigans are the time to go crazy and have some fun in terms of color, print, material, etc. Maybe keep a neutral colored one or two but get as many as you want in any color that makes you happy!
Thanks for reading!